Physical therapy is often recommended to individuals who have lost their physical functions due to medical conditions, old age, or injuries. Engaging physical therapy services in Downey, California enables the patients to recover these lost functions.
One kind of physical therapy that is getting more and more popular nowadays is aquatic therapy. From the term itself, it involves the use of water in rehabilitation. A trained professional supervises the therapy which typically takes place in a pool. Some other terms that it is known by are water therapy and aquatic rehabilitation. Read on to know more about aquatic therapy.
- What are the benefits of aquatic therapy?
This particular type of therapy offers a number of benefits to the participants. Some of these benefits include the following:
- People become buoyant in water. As such, the effect of gravity on aching or injured muscles and joints are lessened.
- When the water used is warm, it helps soothe and relax aching muscles and joints.
- Water is naturally resistant so it allows natural muscle strengthening for the body to take place.
- Through hydrostatic pressure, the client achieves support and stability, thereby decreasing the fear of falling while doing the exercises.
- The respiratory muscles become stronger since they are forced to work harder while in the water.
- Which conditions need aquatic therapy?
A trained professional will have to determine whether a patient with a specific condition can benefit from aquatic therapy. Some of the conditions where aquatic therapy is beneficial includes:
- Chronic Pain
- Multiple Sclerosis
However, when you have a high fever or have Hepatitis A, aquatic therapy is not appropriate for you. Those with open wounds, incontinence, COPD, chlorine allergy, or uncontrolled seizures, among others are also not recommended to engage in aquatic therapy.
- Where is aquatic therapy available?
Many hospitals, sports medicine clinics and providers of rehabilitation outpatient services in Bellflower, California may offer aquatic therapy services. It is important to search for a reliable provider, one that has the necessary licenses and certifications to practice in this field. This way, you can be sure that you are receiving the proper course of treatment for yourself or for your loved ones.
If you need rehabilitation along with care and support at home via home health services in Montebello, California, do not hesitate to connect with our team. Dynamix (Home Health & Rehabilitation) offers a variety of services to help you regain lost physical functions while helping you manage or treat your medical conditions. Call us today!